Gum disease is an infection that affects the gums and bone structures that support and surround the teeth. If left untreated, this disease can cause the loss of healthy jawbone structure and even tooth loss.
Signs of Gum Disease
Gum disease is more easily reversed and treated if it is caught in its initial stages. Be sure to schedule an appointment with Dr. George Daszko if you notice any of the symptoms below:
– Swollen, inflamed, or red gums
– Gums that bleed easily, particularly when you brush and floss
– Teeth that look longer because of gum recession
– Periodontal pockets between the teeth and the gums
– Changes to your bite
– Pus coming from the gums
– Persistent bad breath or bad taste in the mouth
– Loose teeth
Risk Factors of Gum Disease
There are certain factors that can increase an individual’s risk for developing gum disease, including:
– Hormonal changes in girls and women
– Some medications
– Some diseases and their treatments
– A family history of gum disease
However, even if you have one or more of these risk factors, you can prevent gum disease by taking good care of your smile.
We welcome you to contact The Artful Dentist at 512-288-6444 today to learn more and to schedule a visit with our dentist in Austin, Texas.